Over a decade of working with clients as a Personal Trainer I have observed that many feel a certain amount of resentment toward the journey of weight loss. Some clients resent watching others eat what they want without putting on any weight (however this is often a perception and not reality). Others hate exercise and again resent those naturally thin people that do not need to exercise. Again this is based on perception, firstly those naturally thin people may actually be very active but may not be honest about it and sometimes despite a person being thin it does not guarantee that they are healthy.
If you wish to turn resentment into contentment when embarking on your weight loss journey it is important to focus on you and you only.
Comparing yourself to others is the biggest step toward resentment and demotivation.
Change your attitude & your language
If your thoughts and language resemble any of the following statements below then it is safe to say some work needs to be done for you to enjoy the journey of weight loss.
- I hate this journey of weight loss I’d rather be doing something else.
- I hate thinking about it, constantly monitoring it, always trying to stay on top of it.
- I hate the shape of my body and how hard it feels to change.
- I hate that I can’t just sit down and eat what I want when I am upset.
- I hate that I will never be the size that I want.
Instead replace these negative attitudes and language with more positive ones
- I love how I feel after I do my work out.
- I really love how the personal achievement of monitoring my diet and exercise feels when I have done what I set out to do.
- I accept my body as it is right now, I did not gain it over night so I do not expect to lose it overnight.
- I love that I am now in control of my eating and it is not in control of me.
- I can be whatever size or weight I want to be. I will get out of this what I put in.
- I love the feeling of putting on clothes I have not worn for a while and them fitting so much better.
If you feel that you need more support to enjoy the journey of weight loss and want to know how to go about it simply book your free consultation with Sharon Mercieca, Personal Trainer Barking.
To find out more please read about Wellness Coaching which focuses on behavioural change.